Sunday, February 15, 2015

Facial Scent Glands in the Cat

My Magpie.
Always the willing model.
Cats are the most perceptive, inquisitive, intelligent, and brilliant pets alive. How else could you figure out how to run a household, survive  and still have nine lives, and adapt to any environment where you not only dominate, but also persist and proliferate?

There is an off-putting aloofness to the feline which makes mastering their whims and stubborn opinions a feat for both the determined and strong of heart.

There is a fine art to taming a cat. Patience and kindness are your only tools to success. You can't persuade them, convince them, nor reprimand them. They only choose to follow you based on trust. The aromatic can of  tuna will lay ignored for weeks if the cat doesn't believe it is safe for them to approach. The only way to convince a cat to do what you want them to is to figure out a way for them to believe that it was their idea to begin with.

When it comes to us humans there are cat whispers and tamers, but we are only promoted after years of relinquishing commands and accepting second fiddle to the squish of a dismissive tail as it bids us adieu. A quiet soul with a pure heart will be rewarded a thousand times over by the gentle adoration of the meditative qualities of a purr. To say that you "don't like a cat" is to admit "that you don't know one".

A happy cat is a worry free cat.

How do I know that my cats love me?

It's simple.
  • They run to me every morning when I give my "Good Morning!" greeting.
  • They choose to be near me at every quiet relaxing moment. After all nothing beats a quiet warm lap to sleep in.
  • They are happy to be near me. A restful purr acknowledges a content heart.
  • They give head butts and kneading massages.
Jitterbug professes his love..

Your cat claims you with a head butt by using the scent glands on their face between the top of the eye and the base of the ear. This area  of thinned hair allows them to not only spread their scent but collect others.

The area of thin hair (top of the eye to base of the ear) is the location of
scent glands on the side of the face,

They say "I love you" with a face press, where other scent glands on the sides of their face, or a kneading pulsating massage as their feet dance and jig a nest to lay on.


This blog was created to help a person who asked me on Pawbly.com. I was asked if thin hair on the side of the cats face was normal? In an effort to save me writing a thousand words I thought I would just take a few photos of my gorgeous cat Magpie. If you have a question, or a pet moment, advice, or knowledge please join us. Pawbly is free to use and free to share pet tips.

Or you can visit me anytime on Twitter @FreePetAdvice, or in the clinic at Jarrettsville Vet.

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned the ways cats show their love and what I call Trust. Since I started Fostering cats about 7 years ago, I really became aware of all the different and unique personalities they have
    have. There is one however they all possess, and that is the wanting to trust/love us. It is the purr and the look they give which is priceless. To test this theory, about a year and half ago I trapped two feral cats who were coming to my farm looking for food. They would each come usually about an hour apart twice a day and I left the food in the same place and move it closer to my viewing area of my house. After a couple of weeks I trapped one and put her in a large pen area in my well lighted basement area and then go the other one about an hour later.

    If anyone has ever tried to get close to a feral cat knows it is impossible because it is life or death to them to get near humans. That, for the most part is understandable, considering how large we must seem to them and any of the other unwanted traits many humans have towards animals. Now put these in a large pen area (8' x 6') and the struggle and panic to escape if freighting, both for them and us. Well, the daily working with them and all the things which I have done would take several pages to tell you, but here I want to get to the main point. They both have full freedom to come and go as they see fit, as all the basement cats have through the kitty door. They are a permanent member our farm and live in the basement area and can go out the kitty door all day long if they want (it is close at night around six). Both of them are best friends, sleep, eat, and play together and get along with the other fosters and resident cats living in the basement. Now the back to my theory; I was told by many people you can’t domesticated a feral cat. Well, they were wrong. It takes time, but the key is TRUST. If they can trust you they will give you their love.

    Butterscotch (he is brown and white) and Tipper (she lost part of her tail in the wild) each have their own level of love they give back. Tipper will not exactly come to me all the way when I call her but will wait till I approach, hunch down and now purrs when I pet, brush or just rub under her chin. Butterscotch will come to me when I call him, (he still has a little bit of reservation) is always the first one at the top of the step to greet me when I come down in the morning and evening to feed everyone. But he has not yet purred when he is petted. He still has that doubt about giving me 100% percent of his trust. But that’s OK, because when the day comes he purrs I will know I have earned his trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What causes moist hairballs are pretty easy: Cats are very clean animals that like to groom themselves. Most hair will go through the intestinal tract into the actual stool. A hairball forms when an excessive amount of hair accumulates in the stomach and needs to be expelled.

    ReplyDelete